Monday, July 7, 2014

Alice for Alice

A friend of mine is expecting her first baby this month. It's a girl and her parents have decided her name will be Alice. As it turns out, Alice's mom is crazy about Alice in Wonderland and has used it as the theme for the nursery. When I heard that, I was on a mission to find just the right fabric for a baby quilt!

I found a few small pieces of Alice in Wonderland fabric on eBay, but even if there had been enough, they just weren't prints that interested me. Then late one night, after Google had yielded nothing that would work, I decided to check Etsy. I don't know why, but I never think to look there for fabric. Never again will I make that mistake!! I stumbled upon the Beautiful Work shop, based in Japan, and knew I had hit the jackpot. There were multiple Alice in Wonderland prints to choose from! Actually, I would have liked to order several of the fabrics they have! My only suggestion if you are looking for fabric on Etsy is to look carefully at the yardage specified in the listing. Many of them are smaller cuts of fabric, so you may have to hunt a bit to see if the length you need is available.

Once I found the Alice print, I knew I would use it for the quilt back and keep the front simple and sweet. The new nursery has been done in pink and gray and the traditional rail fence quilt pattern is classic, not to mention very fast to make.

I knew I would have to piece the quilt back to make it a bit longer, so I just inserted a panel of a pink print. I thought it would be a nice finishing touch to appliqué Alice's name onto that panel as well.

I know Alice's mom was thrilled with her new quilt and I hope she enjoys it for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment